Question: Why choose International adoption over Domestic, or why adopt at all? I've heard this question many times since I've started talking to friends and family about adoption recently. Which is a valid question, especially for those that love us and are concerned.Having children of our own hasn't been a problem with us, we have two biological children of our own. If we only wanted to have another child, we could easily have another one of our own. God has brought many things into my life lately that have opened my eyes to adoption, and shown me the huge need for millions of children in need. God was really working in my heart, and giving me a passion to care for these children - if even just one. Or two. It is our job as Christians to care for the orphaned and poor, and I felt very convicted of this. So I prayed, and prayed. Then when the subject came up with Mike, we talked about it and researched, and I prayed some more. I really feel like our upcoming adoption is God's plan for our life. We have so much love to give, and have such a blessed life and family - how could we not open our home to love another child of God? Jackson and Madelyn are wonderful kids and even at their young age, they both have a passion for life and love people. White, black, red, yellow, brown, they would love and be accepting of anyone of any color. Things are a lot different with our generation than it was even 10-20 years ago. Even though we live in a primarily Caucasian area, there are minorities and I think people are more accepting of change and difference in others.
So why not adopt domestically? Those children need homes too. Which is true. However, domestic infant adoption is very different than International adoption. Domestically, there is a higher demand than supply for infants to be adopted. There are many older children in need of homes through the foster care system, however I don't feel like that's where God is leading our family at this time. I'm not closing the door to that possibility, but I don't think that's where we need to be looking right now. Many people are waiting for infants to be born in the US to adopt domestically, while there are millions of children in other countries right now dying of disease and starvation. I really do have a heart for these children in need.
We're not saying that we will never have another biological child, although I don't think we're planning on this. But with millions of children in need of a home, family, love, health care - children that will die without the support of a loving family - how could we NOT adopt? I don't want people to think that our adopted child is a "charity" child - because it's not charity, it's love. Even before getting into the legal process, I love this child like one of my own. I am praying for his/her birth mom's health, family, country, and that we will be placed with the child that God wants us to be blessed with and that He will open our hearts to His plan for our lives. And I can't wait until the day I can hold this precious miracle in my arms.



No comments:
Post a Comment