Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pray For Ethiopia's Government

I'm hi-jacking this next paragraph from Holly's blog, I was shocked when I read it and think it's something really important for everyone to be praying for!! Yezelalem Minch and the children in Ethiopia need the support from sources abroad - there is no way that all of their support would be able to be raised locally.

I recently learned from friends in Ethiopia that the government is considering passing new legislation that could seriously damage local Ethiopian-run NGO's. What they are proposing, is that local Ethiopian-run NGO's (like Yezelalem Minch) would have to raise 90% of their support locally, and only 10% could be from sources abroad. This makes me feel sick to my stomach... litterally my heart is hurting and my stomach is churning. Yezelalem Minch is an AMAZING community outreach ministry. They have over 350 children in their program who receive school tuition, clothing, and food. They help keep orphaned children with extended families! They reach out and help care for mothers and children with HIV and AIDS. They have big dreams for the future of a trades school, an agriculture/farming project, a clinic, new headquarters, and new housing for the 15 or so actual orphans that live at Yezelalem Minch. There is NO way they would ever be able to raise 90% of their support from the local community. It just isn't even possible. The proprosal is absolutely ludicrous.

No comments: