Friday, May 7, 2010

Ethiopia: Day 3 (5-7-2010)

Today was a busy day! We went back to the orphanage today for a few other families to meet their children for the first time. Everyone was so nervous, I was glad to have that out of the way!


When we brought Birtukan back to the orphanage, I was anticipating her being sad, scared, and not wanting to go back. However, the second we got out of the van, she ran over to all of the kids waiting outside and all of the children started chanting "Birtukan, Birtukan, Birtukan!" and holding out their hands through the gate to give her hugs. Her face lit up, and she ran over to her friends. It made me happy that she was having such a good time and was so well taken care of at Mussie Orphanage, but also made me a little sad that she would be missing all of her friends when we left Ethiopia.

All of the nannies there came over and gave her hugs, and the cooks even brought her a special piece of mango to eat. Everyone we saw just loved her!! Apparently we have a "Little Miss Popular" on our hands!

All of the kids were sooooo excited about her Dora tennis shoes!! They all wear crocs and flipflops (that are all the wrong sizes), so to see their friend wearing tennis shoes was very exciting for them!

The cooks wanted to feed them one last meal there, so they went to their little meal area and fed them one more time. I really wanted to try what they were eating, but thought that would be a bad idea!! ((Don't Drink The Water)) They let Mike and I try feeding her too, which has been a big issue, and she let us each help feed her. She even let Mike hold her in the van!!

Note: I didn't journal in my notebook this day, so I'm just going by memory right now - which is why it's short and sweet. :-)

No comments: