

Today we were supposed to climb a mountain. (Yah, I know...) Everyone was so tired and opted not to go, so we went to the market again instead. Mike got me a couple beaded bracelets (10 birr), Maddie a doll (140 birr), and Birtukan went shopping for us as well to get the coffee cups, traditional coffee stand, another coffee pot, and a popcorn basket.
Angie and I had jelly bracelets and tootsie pops with us, and we gave them to kids through the window when we went to the market today. It's crazy when one kid gets something, within 3 seconds there are hundreds of kids waiting to attack you for whatever you have! We realized that the best time to give somebody something, was right before you left - then you could avoid the mob. At the market place, the bus driver backed into a red car. SMASH! First car accident of the trip, which is totally amazing considering how wild everyone drives!! There are no traffic laws, it's every man (and herd of donkeys) for themselves!We went out to lunch again with our group, and Birtukan once again threw a giant temper tantrum in the restaurant. It was hard not being able to communicate with her! I thought it was a fear or bonding issues, or her being scared. One of the waiters came over to talk to her for us, and calmed her down. When Mike asked him what she wanted, she said she wanted Mirinda (aka - Orange soda). Apparently her favorite drink in the entire world is orange soda!! Too bad that I'm a mean mom and don't want my 2yo to drink that anymore, so I said no. She finally decided she was hungry enough to eat, and all 3 of us shared doro wat, beef tibs, and injera. Two of my favorite Ethiopian dishes!!



We took the kids to play at a little park by the restaurant, because our driver went MIA for a while. It was fun seeing all of the kids play together and run off some energy from having to be quiet and still for so long!


We went to the Bethany office to pick up the "Do Not Open" packets for the kids, and their passports. YAH!! Then back to the guest house. The rest of the families staying at our guest house were leaving tonight, and it made me sad to watch them all pack up! Don't cry, Jill. Don't cry! (Who am I kidding...I cried.) I miss everyone and their kids already! The families really became like extended family to us while in Ethiopia, everyone was so wonderful!

We really love all of the guest help staff! Especially the guard; he is so good with the kids, and is such a sweet and gentle spirit! His name is pronounced "He-Shoot-You" which I think is totally awesome for a guard to be named!
Birtukan did NOT want a bath again today, but she was really dirty from playing at the playground. She also refused pajamas again, and wanted to wear daytime clothes. And I chose my battle, and let her pick out a red cupcake shirt and matching skirt. She immediately had to go show the guest house staff her new sassy clothes; she was so proud of them!Every time I put lotion, soap, or hand gel on Birtukan's hands - it immediately gets rubbed onto her face. I'm thinking that they did this a lot at the orphanage with just water, to wash their faces - but hand gel burns the eyes!! We're working on getting her to stop doing this, but old habits are hard to break. Tooth brushing is still not going well.
She called me "mommy" in English today, and called Mike "daddy" in Amharic many times today. We held her for a while before bed, but then she pointed to her crib and wanted to be set down while she was awake. Tonight was the first time she was put down for bed awake, and not asleep in our arms first! That was a great step! She also went to bed for the first time NOT wearing her Dora tennis shoes.
The building process Ethiopia is amazing. The scaffolding is made of sticks tied together, and it looks like they spend years doing just small portions of construction! In front of large buildings, there are guys breaking giant rocks into pebbles. Then into powder. Then they mix it there, carry it up the scaffolding in little buckets, and plaster it on.






1 comment:
Jill - I absolutely love your blog and reading about your trip to Ethiopia. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us.
Post a Comment