Saturday, August 30, 2008

Last Week At IHOP

Mondays at IHOP in Ankeny is free kids meals! Nothing makes for a better dinner than a *free* dinner! So I pack up the kids and meet Mike after work at IHOP. I figure we'll have our regular table and waiter like we do each time we're there. He's perfect! He's always quick, refills things without being asked, and I'm always impressed how he can remember all of our orders without writing it down since we always have tons of special requests - and he's never made a mistake! He's awesome.

However....a giant bus up front! Apparently every senior citizen in the tri-state area decided to take a bus trip to IHOP. A'ight, no biggie! At least I see our regular waiter. But it looks like he's waiting on the millions of senior citizens in the other section. He's never in that section! Hmmmm. So we get corralled to our table and try to keep the kids from screaming at each other until we can order. Then we see Sydney!! He's the balloon magician extraordinaire that does balloon animals on Monday nights. Snap! So after he told us the story about his summer vacations, his electricity bill, and a broken water meter, he made Jackson a little turtle. Things were great, until Maddie grabbed it and almost popped its head.

Finally, our new waiter! Not really sure what his name was, but that's okay, because I'm not sure he knew what his name was either. He couldn't have been older than 16! He was very confused when Mike ordered a "fried egg" and just stood there with a blank look on his face. Fried egg? Bwuh? You take an egg, and you fry it. "OK, I'll just take a sunny side up egg." Apparently he knows what that is, because then he walked away. When he brought our meals, the food looked great. Except for Mikes, because he didn't bring Mike's meal. After about 10 minutes of trying to flag him down, he finally comes over and Mike tells him that he still doesn't have his meal. ".....*confused look*.....oh, I don't know where it is." And....walked away. I assume he's going to double check on it? He comes back a while later, and says that the cooks forgot to make it. Super!

A little bit later, he brings over a meal somewhat similar to what Mike ordered. After a while I hear from the kitchen "Someone stole my meal. It was a hashbrown, pancakes, egg meal..." which made us start laughing, because we think our waiter stole someone else's meal to give Mike. Although I felt a little bad for the person that's now missing THEIR meal!

Meanwhile, the family sitting next to us got told that WHOOPS! The cooks accidentally threw their food away and they need to re-make it. How the heck does someone 'accidentally' throw away an entire order?? Right then, Maddie throws a pancake at me, zipping over my shoulder, and lands on the back of my seat.

Check please!!!

What, you gave our check to someone else, just like our food? Fantastic!!

In reality, getting the check was an ordeal too. They forgot to take the kids meals off since it was free kids meal day. Then he came back with a new check, and said that he gave Mike his meal free....but one of the kids meals was still on the ticket. Then he said that since Mike got his meal free, they could only give us one free kids meal instead of two. Can we just go home please?

No comments: