Monday, December 29, 2008

Super Cute Big Girl

We just got home from KC, and brought the bedroom set Mike's parents gave Maddie up to her room. It's still a disaster from moving the old stuff out and the new stuff in, but it's going to be SOOO cute! (Thanks so much for letting Maddie keep a part of Aunt Julia's past, and for helping with the movers. Maddie's going to love her new room!!) We decided to move out a lot of her baby stuff; baby toys, changing table, etc. and move in her new "big girl" things! Like her desk, and we put her little toy laptop that Grandma Dale and Papa Stan gave her on it. (haha) We're hoping to move her to a big girl bed soon and get rid of her crib to make more room. I'm afraid she won't stay in bed though, and I don't trust her running around her bedroom alone at night! But don't worry - Maddie's still our little baby girl! Our un-potty trained crib-sleeping little girl. ;-)

Tomorrow morning Mike is going to hopefully get a set of VERY much needed tires for his car with some Christmas money from Papa Stan and Grandma Dale. (Nothing says "Merry Christmas" like new tires!) ;-) He's off work until after the New Year - thanks 3M for manditory vacation! I'm going to try and pick up as many hours as I can while Mike's on vacation. I'm already working the 30th, 1st, and 2nd (12 hour shifts) and possibly the 3rd if they're short staffed and desperate. ((Call back pay)) Which they probably will be!! There was a news story about the hospital that I work at and the high rate of twins that we've had this past month. CLICK HERE to read the story.

I think our social worker is still on vacation, I haven't gotten a response to either emails I sent her before Christmas. I'm starting to feel like an uber stalker with her! ;-) It's also frustrating that the person Mike needs to talk with about his employment verification is most likely also on manditory vacation until after the New Year.

I think Jackson's excitement for his new sibling has been growing a lot in the last few weeks too. We've talked a lot about him having a new brother or sister, which he insists is going to be a brother. I've been trying to prepare our family for becoming a transracial family, and letting our kids be equipped for the issues and comments that others will most likely bring up. Although I think children these days are more open to people of different races and more accepting, there still are racist people and I want Jackson to feel comfortable with being a transracial family. I also want him to feel prepared on how to talk to other people (adults and children) about having a sibling that is a different race, and be able to have positive comments that will educate others instead of 'fighting' or feeling ashamed of anything. I also want to talk to Jackson about possible attachment and grief issues that his new 'little buddy' (as he calls his new sibling) will have. I want Jackson to realize that with the joys of adoption, also comes much loss and pain. It breaks my heart to think about our new child's birth family and how much pain they must be going through. A beautiful child, with birth parents and memories.; taken to an orphanage or abandoned, in hopes that this child could have a better life. I feel so blessed that our child's birth mother will trust US with her child, and will allow us to be his/her forever family. As each day passes, and as each piece of paperwork is completed, I am getting more anxious to be able to hold our child in our arms.

I've also had some friends mention to me lately their concern about our openness with our adoption age-wise. Our Home Study is going to approve us for a child 0-36 months. When I tell this to people, a lot of them act surprised that we might adopt a 3 year old and not a newborn. Although I don't think there is anything wrong with adopting a newborn, because I know there is a need; I feel like we are being drawn to adopt a younger child that is already waiting for us - and not us waiting for them to be born. (If that makes sense) I think that most likely we will be matched with a 2.5 year old boy.

I was SOOOO excited to read that Kelly and Tracy's kids passed court the first time on Christmas Eve!!! This means that their children in Ethiopia are officially theirs! They now need to wait for an Embassy date, and their 'go' to travel. This will be seven children for Kelly (she has 4 at home now, and has 3 waiting for her in ET) and four children for Tracy (she has 3 at home now, and 1 waiting for her in ET). Unfortunately, there were also a couple court hearings that did not pass the first time and have another date set up later in January. Please pray that these children will pass court the next time so they do not have to remain at the orphanage for much longer!!

No comments: