Sunday, January 4, 2009

Lasagna

Here's a lasagna recipe that I wanted to try:

4 slices raw bacon, minced
3 T. Butter
2 cloves garlic
1 medium onion, minced
1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound sausage (I acutally use the whole pound and it works great)

4 cups Ragu Traditional Old World Style (large jar - 2 lbs. 13 oz.)
2 t. Italian seasoning
1 cup dry white wine

1 pound cottage cheese
1/2 t. salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup parmesean cheese

4 cups mozzerella cheese
1/2 pkg. of lasagna (I usually use about 9-10 noodles)
(I usually cook my noodles beforehand. I know some people use them uncooked, and I tried that once, but I felt like the lasagna was too dry)

Saute bacon, garlic, and onion in butter until onion is tender. Add ground beef and sausage. Brown and drain. In a large saucepan, combine Ragu, wine, and seasoning. Add meat mixutre. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the cottage cheese, salt, eggs, and parmesean cheese and set aside. Layer as follows:

Sauce
Noodles
Cheese Mixture
Sprinkle Mozzerella
Noodles
Sauce
Cheese
Mozzerella
Noodles
Sauce
Remaining 2 cups of mozzerella cheese on top

Bake uncovered at 350 for about an hour. Use a deep dish 9x13 pan, as it will bubble over.

No comments: