After picking up Jackson from school today, we start driving into our little neighborhood. As I turn the corner at the crosswalk I be sure to look left, right, left, right, left, right, because I'm always paranoid at school time with lots of kids running around. However, this time there were no kids within a block of the corner.
As I turn the corner, I hear *SIRENS*. I'm a block away from home, I see our house, and a police car has sirens going full blast chasing me down the street. So I pull to the side of the road oblivious as to what I've done wrong, so I go through my mental checklist. I'm wearing my seatbelt, I wasn't speeding, the kids are buckled up in approved carseats, my car's not stolen, and I don't have a warrant for my arrest (I think!). He asks for my drivers license and proof of insurance, both of which I'm not sure I have with me. I'm digging through my backpack, like "Umm...I think I have it here somewhere??" when he proceeds to say that he doesn't really need it anyway. If you don't need it, why ask for it? Anyway. I find my license in the front zip of my backpack, and hand him my little book in the glove box not sure which one is my proof of insurance. (Yes, I'm actually this clueless when it comes to car and insurance papers.) He goes back to his car, types some stuff up; quite possibly just playing a game of online Spades to pass the time!
Meanwhile, the kids walking home from school catch up to our area and start to congregate around my car. Not every day is a soccer mom pulled over with 2 kids in the backseat in our neighborhood. Kind of embarassing when minivans start to pull around us one after the other after the other, all staring at what kind of horrible mother would get pulled over in a school zone. I kept trying to look into the backseat, just so people would stop looking at my face and maybe the neighbors wouldn't see it was me! Then I had a flashback of the very first time I got pulled over, by a quick-trigger rookie cop, and got a gun pulled on me for reaching back into my vehicle to get my sweater since he made me stand outside of my car in the snow. Eek! So I quickly turn back around to the front, and see he's standing at my window. Hands on the steering wheel!! I think, so he doesn't think I was hiding crack-cocaine in his absence. He hands me back my papers and license, along with a written warning. For what you ask? Not coming to a complete stop before making a turn. "I'm pretty sure I came to a complete stop at the corner," I said, continuing with "I always make sure to look for kids too before turning." He then starts looking into my back seats and comments on how it's good that I have the kids buckled up. (Did he think that I would be driving with my kids rolling around the backseat free as a jaybird??) "Yes, I always obey the law," I was going to say when he cut me off to give me a lesson on 'what it feels like as a driver to come to a complete stop instead of a rolling stop.' Hmmmm. "I still think I came to a complete stop....." I said quietly as he handed me my written warning and walked away.
Friday, August 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment