



First day of kindergarten!! The morning was okay, besides Maddie being her usual fussy self. When we got to the school, Jackson went to his locker and hung up his backpack. Then he brought his lunch into his classroom and put it in the lunch basket and said hello to Ms Douma. A lot of the other kids were crying, but Jackson was super excited to start his first day of school!
So I go to pick up Jackson from school, expecting him to have had a wonderful excellent fantastic day. As I'm walking down the hallway, I hear someone crying. (It couldn't be Jackson) I turn the corner and pass their lockers. (More crying...) And I get to the classroom (Still can't be Jackson crying) and what do I see? Jackson crying.
Apparently they were making a monkey puppet with a paper bag, face, tail, etc. He cut out all his pieces, but lost the tail. And it's "not a monkey anymore, because it doesn't have a tail. I'm not leaving until I get another tail!!!" He didn't want to help pick up his craft supplies at the table, he didn't want to take his nametag with him or wear it, and he certainly didn't want to leave until he had a tail for his monkey. His teacher also said that there was a "quiet time incident" with his nap towel. I think he couldn't find his locker, or someone else took his towel, and he didn't have it for quiet time and he was very upset about it.
When we got to his locker to pick up his backpack, there was more crying. He couldn't get his locker open, and wouldn't let me help. Then he swore the monkey's tail was in his locker, and we couldn't leave until we found it. If there would have been a monkey nearby, I would have gladly removed its tail and placed it in his locker so we could just leave and go home. All the way to the car, screaming and crying. All the way home, screaming and crying. An hour later, it is semi-quiet with no crying. (Note: All the 'after school' pictures are of Jackson crying....good times!)





"I don't want to go back to school, because I don't like it now. I'll do recess again, but that's it. And I'm not going to make another monkey, because they break, and I hate them." Words of a disgruntled kindergartner....

At dinner tonight, we ask Jackson how his lunch at school went. "Great!" he says "I ate lunch in the Principal's Office." Umm, bwuh? Didn't waste much time taking that route, huh? I tried to quiz him more about it, but he's not really the best source of information. He said something about how the kids in the lunch room were too loud, then about eating in the Principal's Office. I'm not sure if he got moved there because he was too wild at lunch, or if they had a "meet the Principal" lunch, or if having to eat there was a teacher threat.
I think Maddie really missed Jackson today when he was at school, because she kept hugging him all night.


No comments:
Post a Comment